Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thinking Question # 6

One of the biggest media industries in the world is the movie industry, valued at $65 billion. This is the reason why we are concentrating our attention on Hollywood and Bollywood. Since nobody is watching an Indian movie this semester,  I chose to focus our blog on Bollywood.
Please look at slides 16-21 in the Imports_Exports PPT. You are also strongly encouraged to watch the Hello Bollywood documentary (30 minutes; here is the link) before answering the first question. You have a choice between two questions:

  1. Discuss at least three ways in which Indian movies are different from Hollywood movies? 
  2. Read the article on slide 21 - Can Bollywood go global? - and provide an answer to the question. What kind of a message was Bollywood sending when it held its annual awards in Tampa (see slide 20). 

6 comments:

  1. The comparison of Indian movies and U.S. movies are the Indian movies are different because they Hollywood
    Bollywood fusion from Bombay. People who watch films in India is larger than the U.S. the average is 14 million watching movies everyday. The Hollywood movies, are 60-90 minutes. the average costs for their films are about $ 75 million. The US makes up to 80% of their annual global market .
    Bollywood makes films up to 1,000 films in 23 different languages. Movies are still the most popular way of entertainment. Hollywood producers for example. Sony, Warner and Disney would prefer to make local films for ttheir market rather than selling to Hollywood films.The production is larger than of Hollywood . The Indian film industry employs 2.5 mil people. Each industry varies with films and movies I think both have a wide range and variety that they seell tot their audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discuss at least three ways in which Indian movies are different from Hollywood movies?
    I love watch movie. Due to Chinese movie was not so good this couple of years, I always find some foreign movie on the Internet. Thus, I watched a lot of different countries movies with different theme. I most like Italian movies, French movies, British movies and some American movies. But I have to say Indian movies are not bad. Some of Indian movies really give people a new feeling and a new visual.
    In my impression, the images of Hollywood movies nowadays are more like super blockbuster movies or commercial films. There are a lot of Hollywood movies related to super heroes and super man, such as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Captain America, and so on. Others movies like The Fast and the Furious, Need for Speed, Flashpoint, Terminator, and The Rock, those action and crime movies also is a prominent label of Hollywood movies. I think many Hollywood movies give people the “tough guy” image. The male protagonists are very strong, powerful, and martial-arts. Women in these movies are always sexy and wild. I think most Hollywood movies are very easy to understand, and easily let people have a very excited mood, like patriotism and sense of justice. However, I think Indian movies are very funning and meaningful. The images of Indian movies are not like American movies so simple. I have watched at least 10 Indian classic movies before, almost all of these movies content are different. I watched an Indian movie recently, it is called Oh My God, tells a story about an atheist’s unfortunate experience. I think this movie is funning, not bad, but I think as a religious country, they can take a movie about atheist, it is a bold attempt. However, I think Indian movies are also same, because you can find action, drama, emotion, romance, and comedy are all in the one movie. In Indian movies, you can be moved to tears, and also can belly laugh.
    Nevertheless, I still think that Indian movies can’t compete with American movies, because there is no doubt that the American movies technology is better than Indian movies. In certain aspects, Indian movies are better, like multiple contents. But on the special effects and filming techniques, American movies are the world’s top. If you have been watched Indian movies and American movies, you will find that image quality and close-up of Indian movies are worse than American movies. I think maybe because lacks of technologies, most Indian movies are restricted to the romantic, drama, and comedy genre.
    Otherwise, target audience of Indian movies is more less than American movies. In Indian movies, there are a lot of Indian cultural things, they have their own unique music, dance, life style and religious culture. It is very different between American movies. American movies more like a popular media culture. With the development of globalization, many countries can accept this culture. But Indian movies can’t reach to this level right now. People don't know too much about Indian culture, even some people can’t accept it. I remember once when I was watch Indian movie with my friends, one of my friends said it is stupid, we should watch another one. I believe that if we watched an American movie, this will not happened. Maybe it’s just said this is American movie, not good and not bad.
    In the end, according to these articles, Bollywood creates large number of movies in every year, it is more than Hollywood. However, as we can see, Indian classic movies are more less than American classic movies in one year. Although there are thousands of Indian movies, the great movies are very few.
    As to whether which one is better, I think it completely depends on the audience’s preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that Bollywood can go global but not without having to overcome some challenges. Bollywood is in fact, the world’s largest film industry both in number of movies produced each year and number of tickets sold each year. However, despite the large number of movies made as well as ticket sales Bollywood’s annual revenue doesn’t stack up when compared to the United States. This is due in large part to how cheap the tickets are in Bollywood compared to the U.S. Despite the challenges and lack of revenue Bollywood, as the article mentions, has room for growth and expansion globally. For Bollywood to be successful in a global market it would rely on Hollywood. By creating a relationship with Hollywood whether it is by coproducing films or having Indian production companies within the United States partnering with Hollywood would be the best way for Bollywood to expand globally. By holding the awards ceremony in Tampa Florida I believe Bollywood was trying to emphasize its interest both to expand globally and test the market within the United States. The awards ceremony gave the U.S the opportunity to see what Bollywood films were like and it gave Bollywood an opportunity to showcase its product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diaz- Post #6
    At a glance it is quite obvious that there is quite a difference between the movies produced in Hollywood and those produced in Bollywood. So for that reason I decided I would answer the first question for my blog post and give three examples of their differences.
    The first difference that really stood out to me is how Indian films desire to create a different world. Unlike American films that like to create a level of realism, Indian films are meant to be an escape into fantasy. The public is aware that the world is not as bright and vivid as it portrayed in films, nor do people break out in songs to relieve tension. The more flamboyant and splendid the better it is received in their culture. The majority of people are in poverty in India and they want the cinema to act as an escape and hope. They create films that are colorful and with loud boisterous music, conveying life in a celebratory light.
    Another great difference between the Hollywood and Bollywood is what content sells best. This goes hand in hand with the previous difference mentioned, but there is a distinction. Their colors and music are all part of a similar theme and image that is popular, but the content of the movies are a different element. The popular plotlines of Indian films differ from that of Hollywood. Currently in Hollywood comedies, action, and horror are some of the top genres. In India they are all usually musicals of some sort. They are melodramatic and romantic, but they also like to play in favor of the underdog. As mentioned before it is a poor country, and because of this they like having dramatic plots where someone overcomes something whether it be love triangles, sacrifice, or corrupt politicians. Although we like to have similar components we tend to dislike musicals or overall cheesiness.
    The last point I would like to point out is one that was one shown in class. On average Bollywood films sell more ticked and are significantly cheaper to produce, but they don’t produce even a tenth of the revenue that Hollywood films do. The main reason being that Hollywood has created a worldwide market for their films. They cater to the trends of not just America, but also based on what will sell best globally. As seen in their themes or genres, India is proud of their culture. The documentary presented seconds this point; they wish to cater to their country and culture rather than putting the focus on what sells best in a larger market. They do wish to make profits and expand their audience outreach, but they do not wish to lose their cultural flair yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley- Post #6

    I don't honestly think that Bollywood can go global. India's early isolation due to sea and the Himalayas has created a unique culture that is so different from the rest of the world's that is will be difficult to bridge the gap. Between its own language, religion, and culture they have little in common with the rest of the world which will be a huge hindrance when trying to cross into a new market. Most other cultures are not into long song and dance numbers and prefer more realistic romance.
    The rest of the world has taken to enjoying huge blockbuster films that require a budget that most Indian movies just don't have access to. Being 60-70 years behind everyone else in incorporating is going to make it more difficult for them to be able to compete with other companies that are already generating the revenue needed to explore new markets. It will also make paying domestic actors or drawing in foreign actors more difficult because they know they will not see much of a return on movies that make little to no profit.
    The idea of hosting their award show in America is a good idea to get their work closer to Hollywood and make Americans more aware of Bollywood movies but I don't see that really working out. It might generate a little novelty for a short period of time but nothing sustainable as far as movie sales and popularity go. America isn't a large market for foreign films and that isn't changing any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After watching the “Hello Bollywood” documentary, there were some main differences I noticed through the interviews given.
    First, the main genres seem to differ from the two platforms. While Hollywood focus on action, adventure, and comedy (with romance intertwined within all those genres), Bollywood tells many cheesy love stories. Some of the interviewees also expressed many times how Bollywood focuses on emotions, and the directors make sure to have the actors express those emotions. This made me think of how most of our big blockbusters produced from Hollywood don’t necessarily like to show scenes where uncomfortable, emotional moments may take place. Obviously, there are still emotional scenes, but they are certainly not the main focus of Hollywood. Instead, what seems to bring in the big millions (or billions) is action and thrillers. These are usually driven by negative emotions, such as greed, bitterness, etc., whereas Bollywood (from what I’ve seen, anyhow) focuses on positive emotions, such as love.
    Another thing I observed, that is now changing, is that many of Bollywood’s biggest movies are independent films. While some independent films have a cult following in the United States, it is surely few and far between. It could be because America likes big corporations and productions instead of “little people” making movies. And, as I’ve said before, Bollywood focuses on emotions instead of pulling tricks (burning cars, exploding buildings) like Hollywood does.
    A last thing I noticed was that in nearly every movie shown in the documentary, there was a dancing scene that told a story. This is very different from Hollywood movies where the only time a musical scene occurs is when it is in an actual musical movie. These musical scenes in Bollywood also show their love for music, which is a taste of one aspect that makes up their culture.

    ReplyDelete